Personal Insurance

Eliminate Surprises

When it comes to money matters, no one likes to be surprised by the feeling that they’ve been shortchanged. That’s why it’s important that you understand how your insurance policy responds to potential personal property losses. When insuring your possessions on your homeowners or rental insurance policy, opting for replacement cost coverage provides you the best reimbursement option. Why? With replacement cost coverage, you collect the full cost to replace the item, less your deductible. Here’s an example to illustrate the benefit of replacement cost coverage:

The furniture you bought a few years ago for $650 is now worth only $100, but today costs $900 to replace. With replacement cost coverage, you would collect $900 to replace the furniture, minus your deductible. With actual cash value, you would get reimbursed $100, minus your deductible. Remember, the age and type of possession impacts the depreciated amount, which can be pennies on the dollar.

Insuring Valuables

While your personal property is covered under your homeowners or renters insurance, policy limits do apply. To insure your valuable items—such as jewelry, fine art or antiques—consider scheduling these high-value items on an endorsement or policy floater.

For all endorsed items, an appraisal or sales receipt is typically required. This will help ensure that, in the event of a covered loss, the amount of insurance is enough to cover the replacement, repair or cash payment of the item.

Home Inventory

If you haven’t documented your possessions on a home inventory list, it may be hard to replace them.

While your homeowners or rental insurance policy will cover you in the event of a burglary or fire, up to the policy’s limits, you’ll still need a thorough inventory list, including photos or video. With insurance fraud on the rise, it’s important to have a home inventory list and to keep the information up to date. Storing this information in a safe place is highly recommended.



1. How many insurance companies can Brown Seligman & Thomas get a quote from?
We represent around two dozen insurance carriers in order to best fit your insurable needs.
2. What is an umbrella policy? Why do I need an umbrella policy?
A personal umbrella policy is a type of insurance that provides liability coverage above your automobile, homeowners, rental properties, watercraft, and other recreational toys.  If you need additional liability coverage for accident you caused or and incident on your property, an umbrella policy will apply after the underlying limits have been reached.
3. What is the difference between uninsured motorist stacked and unstacked bodily injury limits?
Uninsured stacked bodily injury limits increases your limits across the insured autos on the policy and allows the limits to be shared.  Uninsured motorists unstacked bodily injury limits will treat each vehicle coverage separately no matter the limit needed to cover an accident.
4. Why do I need boat/watercraft insurance?
Like home and auto insurance, you need boat insurance.  Liability and property claims can arise from boating and cause a huge financial impact to the boat owner if found at fault.  You can also purchase other coverage like roadside assistance that can help in the event a tow is needed, uninsured boater insurance, and theft. 
5. Why would I need a Brown Seligman & Thomas insurance agent?
Our agents represent multiple insurance companies and carriers.  Each of our agents will research the best coverage for your assets at the highest possible coverage for the lowest possible premium, and will continue to service your account all year and every year after that.  Other agents such as captive agents and telephone representatives can only offer you insurance quote and they are unable to market your account each year if needed.